In view of the report received during the working sessions in Santiago de Chile about the current crisis in Nicaragua, the Progressive Alliance:
- Expresses its consternation at the victims of the most severe confrontations that have happened in the country in the last 40 years;
- Reiterates the demand for the immediate stop of all forms of repression against the Nicaraguan people, as well as the cessation of harassment and threats against student and social leaders;
- Declares its solidarity with the families of the victims;
- Supports the demand to establish an independent Truth Commission tasked with the investigation of reported cases of murder and human rights violations and the determination of responsibilities so that corresponding sanctions can be applied;
- Expresses its hope that dialogue and negotiation will help ensure that the upcoming elections will be fair, competitive and transparent, providing all the necessary conditions for the free participation of citizens and the country’s political forces;
- Calls on the international community to remain alert and to raise their voice in the light of future events;
- Reiterates its commitment to institutionalism and the respect of human rights, the guarantee of peace in democracy.