In light of the unfortunate events seen in Nicaragua over the last four months, following the civic rebellion of the population against the regime of Daniel Ortega, the Progressive Alliance:
- Expresses its strong condemnation of the state repression which, according to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, has led thus far to 322 casualties, hundreds of injured and wounded persons and more than 20,000 people who have been forcibly displaced out of the country.
- Demands an immediate end to the persecution, harassment and threats against members and leaders of the opposition and social activists.
- Demands the immediate release of the minors who were detained and of more than 200 prisoners who are being subjected to torture and irregular trials, in clear violation of their human rights and their right to due legal processes.
- Supports the efforts of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and their working teams to carry out an objective and professional investigation of the human rights violations against Nicaraguan citizens.
- Calls on the government to comply with its commitment to facilitate the work of the IACHR, the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) and the mission of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights by providing the required necessary information and free access to prisons and other sites that these missions have requested.
- Calls for the dismantling and disarmament of the vigilante forces set up by the government.
- Calls on the government of Daniel Ortega to resume the dialogue with the mediation of the Nicaraguan Episcopal Conference as a peaceful way to reach a transparent electoral process in the shortest term possible, with the aim to open the path for democracy.
- Calls on the governments of the world, solidarity movements and the international community to take the necessary actions to contribute to the restoration of a lasting peace, with justice and democracy, in Nicaragua.
- Reiterates its solidarity with the progressive and democratic forces in Nicaragua.