September 18, 2020
Given the situation in Nicaragua, and the prolonged political, economic and health crisis experienced, as a result of the actions of the Daniel Ortega regime, which, especially since the April 2018 civic insurrection, continues to engage in repression and state violence against the opposition, and since the outbreak of the COVID 19 pandemic has displayed complete irresponsibility and negligence to this pandemic:
– Demands the immediate halt of repression, persecution, harassment and threats to members of the opposition, leaders, and social activists
– Demands the immediate freedom of more than 90 political prisoners whom the regime keeps incarcerated, violating their human, civic and political rights.
– Insists on the respect of all constitutional freedoms of Nicaraguans.
– Calls on the Ortega regime to act responsibly regarding the life of its citizens, assuming all the necessary measures for prevention and tackling the pandemic and the proper and timely care of those who become sick.
– Supports the demand by the democratic political forces for free, transparent and inclusive elections, with unimpeded national and international observation, as the only peaceful and democratic path to achieve stability and democracy.
– Calls upon the governments of the region and the world, the Organization of American States (OAS), the European Union institutions, the solidarity movements and the international community, to take the necessary actions in order to contribute to achieve the electoral reforms that will lead to free elections that Nicaraguan citizens demands
– Reaffirms its solidarity with the progressive and democratic forces in Nicaragua.